American Airlines smacks down frisky gay couple
No gAAys on AA
2006-09-21 17:48:48 UTC
http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid36619.asp
September 20, 2006

American Airlines rebukes gay couple

An American Airlines captain reportedly threatened to divert a flight
from Paris to New York after a gay couple complained about how they
were treated by the flight crew, The New Yorker reported on Monday.

According to a "Talk of the Town" item in the magazine's September 25
issue, now posted on its Web site, TV journalist George Tsikhiseli and
his boyfriend of four months, writer Stephan Varnier, were told by a
stewardess to stop their "touching and the kissing" not long into
American Airlines Flight 45 from Charles de Gaulle to JFK on August
22. The couple said they were doing nothing inappropriate—perhaps a
peck on the cheek, a head on the other's shoulder—a story backed up by
the two passengers seated behind them and another across the aisle.

When they asked to see the purser—whom the stewardess claimed had
issued the order—the purser said she knew nothing about the incident
and initially agreed that their behavior had not been inappropriate,
the men and witnesses reported. But she returned later to say that
other passengers had complained about the men's affectionate gestures.
When the gay couple asked who had complained, asked to speak with an
American Airlines representative upon landing, and asked for the
stewardess's name and employee number, the purser told them to drop
the matter or the flight would be diverted, the magazine reported.

An hour later, the purser asked Tsikhiseli to meet the captain in a
galley, and the captain repeated the threat to divert the airplane if
the men continued to "argue" with the crew, according to The New
Yorker.

A spokesman for the airline backed up the flight crew's behavior and
said their complaints to the men had nothing to do with the fact that
they were a gay couple. "Our understanding is that the level of
affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek,” he told the
magazine.
Mxsmanic
2006-09-21 19:02:44 UTC
Post by No gAAys on AA
A spokesman for the airline backed up the flight crew's behavior and
said their complaints to the men had nothing to do with the fact that
they were a gay couple. "Our understanding is that the level of
affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek,” he told the
magazine.
Given that a great many male flight attendants are homosexual, it
seems unlikely that the crew would have objected unless these two
people were engaging in some pretty unusual behavior.
o***@slr.orl.lmco.com
2006-09-21 19:22:31 UTC
Post by Mxsmanic
Post by No gAAys on AA
A spokesman for the airline backed up the flight crew's behavior and
said their complaints to the men had nothing to do with the fact that
they were a gay couple. "Our understanding is that the level of
affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek," he told the
magazine.
Given that a great many male flight attendants are homosexual, it
seems unlikely that the crew would have objected unless these two
people were engaging in some pretty unusual behavior.
In another account I read, the original response of the purser was
to tacitly acknowledge that the stewardess who made the comment
was to be ignored. It was only when the two gentlemen asked if
it had to do with them both being male that the purser started taking
a hard line.
Bob Barnett
2006-09-21 19:28:51 UTC
Post by o***@slr.orl.lmco.com
Post by Mxsmanic
Post by No gAAys on AA
A spokesman for the airline backed up the flight crew's behavior and
said their complaints to the men had nothing to do with the fact that
they were a gay couple. "Our understanding is that the level of
affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek," he told the
magazine.
Given that a great many male flight attendants are homosexual, it
seems unlikely that the crew would have objected unless these two
people were engaging in some pretty unusual behavior.
In another account I read, the original response of the purser was
to tacitly acknowledge that the stewardess who made the comment
was to be ignored. It was only when the two gentlemen asked if
it had to do with them both being male that the purser started taking
a hard line.
On a Paris to Chicago AA flight 2 weeks ago, I was basically humping my
GF in front of 2 AA stewardesses bc I said the flight was boring-and
they just laughed.

Those guys have a deadbang lawsuit
RedDog®©
Lonely old geezers who are into wrestling as much as you don't have gf's.
mrtravel
2006-09-21 23:28:40 UTC
Post by Mxsmanic
Post by No gAAys on AA
A spokesman for the airline backed up the flight crew's behavior and
said their complaints to the men had nothing to do with the fact that
they were a gay couple. "Our understanding is that the level of
affection was more than a quick peck on the cheek,” he told the
magazine.
Given that a great many male flight attendants are homosexual, it
seems unlikely that the crew would have objected unless these two
people were engaging in some pretty unusual behavior.
The FA's involved were female. Witnesses on the plane have backed up the
lover's story.
P***@aol.com
2006-09-21 19:39:30 UTC
What amazes me is that if the airlines had "strict" policies on overt
affection, every plane would be diverted.
Heterosexual couple do the same things but it is "OK" ,when a gay
couple does it its "wrong"?!
On many a flight I have taken, there have been many female
couples,(whether gay or straight, I dont know) who seem to be in
compromising positions yet its over looked.
Newk Indofman
2006-09-21 19:44:46 UTC
That is generally true the world over, with just a few exceptions.
michael
2006-09-21 19:51:31 UTC
Post by P***@aol.com
What amazes me is that if the airlines had "strict" policies on overt
affection, every plane would be diverted.
Heterosexual couple do the same things but it is "OK" ,when a gay
couple does it its "wrong"?!
On many a flight I have taken, there have been many female
couples,(whether gay or straight, I dont know) who seem to be in
compromising positions yet its over looked.
On one of my flights down to the Caribbean a few years ago there were
two women sitting in my same row, in the center seats, who spent the
whole flight kissing, hugging, and touching each other. Naturally, I
assumed they were lesbians. One would lay her head down on the
other's lap for a while and the other one would play with her hair,
then they would switch, etc. One looked about 45 years old and the
other one looked to be in her twenties. When we landed and were
standing around the carrousel waiting for our baggage I found out
they were mother and daughter. You can imagine my shock. Turns out
they flying down to catch a cruse and were travelling with the woman's
three other kids, all boys, who had been sitting further back in the
plane.
p***@hotmail.com
2006-09-21 21:53:46 UTC
michael wrote:
[snip]
Post by michael
they were mother and daughter.
You should write a letter to Penthouse. I bet you it would get
published.
Socks
mrtravel
2006-09-21 23:36:29 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
[snip]
Post by michael
they were mother and daughter.
You should write a letter to Penthouse. I bet you it would get
published.
Socks
Kind of reminds me of that funny Jim Stafford song, "My Girl Bill"
After leading you on with an impression that it is about 2 guys, it ends
with: "She's my girl, Bill" (important comma. :) )
John Smith ®
2006-09-21 20:02:47 UTC
Post by P***@aol.com
What amazes me is that if the airlines had "strict" policies on overt
affection, every plane would be diverted.
Heterosexual couple do the same things but it is "OK" ,when a gay
couple does it its "wrong"?!
On many a flight I have taken, there have been many female
couples,(whether gay or straight, I dont know) who seem to be in
compromising positions yet its over looked.
Man, I must be using the wrong airlines. My last long flight was AA, DFW to
London. A 777 packed to the gills, and not one humping couple to watch -
darn.
--
"Anybody who deliberately propagandizes with lies should be held up to scorn
and ridicule" - Al Franken
bobandcarole
2006-09-21 21:14:58 UTC
Post by P***@aol.com
What amazes me is that if the airlines had "strict" policies on overt
affection, every plane would be diverted.
Heterosexual couple do the same things but it is "OK" ,when a gay
couple does it its "wrong"?!
Bingo, give that fag a Hillary Clinton Button..............
Post by P***@aol.com
On many a flight I have taken, there have been many female
couples,(whether gay or straight, I dont know) who seem to be in
compromising positions yet its over looked.
Come on, who wants to watch 2 faggot sissys sodomize each other in
public?
It's bad enough that they do it at the perversion pride parades
Newk Indofman
2006-09-22 00:34:22 UTC
How many pride events do you attend in a typical year?
mrtravel
2006-09-22 01:07:16 UTC
Post by Newk Indofman
Post by bobandcarole
Come on, who wants to watch 2 faggot sissys sodomize each other in
public?
It's bad enough that they do it at the perversion pride parades
How many pride events do you attend in a typical year?
LOL... I went to my first one this year, in SF, as I was doing a
promotion for a movie company, and giving away t-shirts for the movie,
"Dreamgirls".
I emerged from the BART stairwell on Market, near Powell, in time to
hear the roar of the approaching Dykes on Bikes. The press said there
were 600 motorcyles present. Shortly after this, there was a parade of
law enforcement walking hand in hand with their lovers. BART was packed,
and many crossdressers (male and female) were onboard. I was amazed by
the number of apparently straight people that had brought their
families, including those with small children on their shoulders.
I really saw no PDA's that I would have considered too risque.
I also believe that hetero couples are far more likely to be involved in
R (or better) rated PDA's in public, especially in public
non=gay-oriented places like on a scheduled carrier.
Had this been Air France, it would have been a non-issue.
The threat of flight diversion for having a disagreement with the FA
over this, is ridiculous. Disagreement with an FA is NOT a matter of
national security.

Regarding the AA issue, which seems to have had a delayed posting here.
It has been discussed for days on FlyerTalk. I doubt anything happened
on the plane, other than what was described by the 2 people involved and
the non-airline witnesses. Someone on FT knows one of the people
involved and discussed this with him.

Yeah, Nomen, I anxiously await your comments. You seem to like talking
about sex, even when it has nothing to do wiht the topic.

PeterL
2006-09-21 21:45:26 UTC
Post by P***@aol.com
What amazes me is that if the airlines had "strict" policies on overt
affection, every plane would be diverted.
Heterosexual couple do the same things but it is "OK" ,when a gay
couple does it its "wrong"?!
How do you know it's the "same thing"? Unless you were there observing
the behavior there is no way any of us here know what the behavior was.
Post by P***@aol.com
On many a flight I have taken, there have been many female
couples,(whether gay or straight, I dont know) who seem to be in
compromising positions yet its over looked.
You certainly travel in very different company than I. The most I ever
noticed was loud snoring.
Runge
magazine.
B***@yahoo.com
2006-09-21 20:35:00 UTC
Post by No gAAys on AA
[...]
OK. This is HUGE news. I would sue the hell out of AA if this is true.
I hope the gay couple has witnesses and would be willing to testify in
behalf of them. The more the better.

Bill Hewlett
Wull
2006-09-21 20:58:04 UTC
What a bunch of crap. I thought the scenario was that what people do in the
privacy of their own home (uncontested) is what gay people desire. I agree
with that 100%. Doing anything in poor taste out in public by any couples
should be frowned upon. I don't think anyone alive would object to private
affairs, except maybe a few religious fanatics.

Wull--who is very old fashioned.
Bill Hewlett
mrtravel
2006-09-21 23:34:24 UTC
Post by B***@yahoo.com
OK. This is HUGE news. I would sue the hell out of AA if this is true.
I hope the gay couple has witnesses and would be willing to testify in
behalf of them. The more the better.
What would the lawsuit be based on? There is no US law preventing FA's
discriminating based on sexual preference.